Thursday, August 22, 2013

New Rock Anthem

As a youngster, I discovered Jimi Hendrix's version of the Star Spangled Banner. He needed something to play at Woodstock, unfortunately, when he arrived, the concert was almost over and most of the crowd had left. So he broke into an impromptu electric guitar version of the Star Spangled Banner. I came of age with the Heavy Metal wailing of guitars, so this easily became my, along with many of my contemporaries, favorite rendition of our national anthem. I was just introduced to this second version by "Big Sis" (not a description, a term of endearment). She also introduced me to Jimi's version at the age of 9. Both give me goosebumps, and as Big Sis used to say when I was a wee lad "Dude, I shed a tear".. I am also including one of my other favorite patriotic songs by  the original "Ray-Ray", Ray Charles.

Jimi




Madison Rising



Ray Charles, America




No comments: