Wednesday, March 25, 2009

One Trillion Dollars and the Head Fake

The beginning of this post is from a popular e-mail I have received several times.. At the end is a response I sent out to the last one I received...
-----------------------------------------------------------

What does one TRILLION dollars look like?

All this talk about "stimulus packages" and "bailouts"...
A billion dollars...
A hundred billion dollars...
Eight hundred billion dollars...
One TRILLION dollars...
We'll start with a $100 dollar bill. Currently the largest U.S. denomination in general circulation. Most everyone has seen them, slightly fewer have owned them. Guaranteed to make friends wherever they go.
A packet of one hundred $100 bills is less than 1/2" thick and contains $10,000. Fits in your pocket easily and is more than enough for week or two of shamefully decadent fun.
Believe it or not, this next little pile is $1 million dollars (100 packets of $10,000). You could stuff that into a grocery bag and walk around with it.




While a measly $1 million looked a little unimpressive, $100 million is a little more respectable. It fits neatly on a standard pallet...





And $1 BILLION dollars... now we're really getting somewhere...







Next we'll look at ONE TRILLION dollars.. This is that number we've been hearing about so much. What is a trillion dollars? Well, it's a million million. It's a thousand billion. It's a one followed by 12 zeros.
You ready for this?
It's pretty surprising.
Go ahead...
Scroll down...
Ladies and gentlemen... I give you $1 trillion dollars...













(And notice those pallets are double stacked.)
The area this occupies is just shy of 5 acres, with one hundred bills stacked 6 feet in height.
So the next time you hear someone toss around the phrase "trillion dollars"... that's what they're talking about.




------


Yes... And why we were all listening to the Congress get indigent about 165 million in bonuses that were legal, and that they knew about last November. The Fed monetized 1 trillion dollars of our debt.... For those of you who have not participated in sports for the last 20 years, that is called a "Head Fake". Makes you look one way while they go another and leaves you standing there saying "What Happened?"..
What this means is, since no one will buy our debt (because we don't look like we will be able to repay it), they printed another Trillion dollars... So it 's a good thing that you can hold 10k dollars in one hand, that is what you will have to take grocery shopping soon.. If you want to see what happens when a Government Monetizes debt.. Look up stories about Zimbabwe or the Weimar Republic of 1920's Germany . The hyperinflation there allowed the rise of Adolf Hitler.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Brother 'Big Man'- so I am not sure if my rant is at all related to yours and all of your political/economical intelligence...however, in doing my taxes I received about $11,000 last year...and no, I didn't leave off a zero....that was my GROSS income. All but $850 was gifts I received to help me be here in Africa. Do you know what my taxes are?? ALMOST $1000.....what the heck? I have avoided the burden of self employment tax for the missionary in the past because I always worked in the year and my taxes paid in off set it (and I had more expenses back then to deduct). I know that there are people who are being paid to NOT work and here I am working my tail off as a VOLUNTEER and my country can't even just let me be. I would even give up my right to Social Security...seriously. Anyway...just wanted to chime in....

HogDaddy said...

You don't want to know what my tax penalty was Little Sister.... I WISH I could give up Social Security...